Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Proposal to Sink I-35

    The "Cut and Cap" plan to sink I-35 underground is one of three ideas the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is currently considering to help ease traffic congestion on the freeway.  The ambitious plan would, in the words of its architect Sinclair Black, "lower the main lanes of this one mile stretch of I-35 (MLK to Lady Bird Lake), cover that mile with a continuous cap, and place a city boulevard on top".  While the enormous socioeconomic implications of providing a "boulevard" connection to the east and west sides of Austin give hope to many people, some are afraid this plan is too costly and does not address the original issue of relieving congestion on the busy highway.
    In my opinion, this plan is a brilliant one.  Although Architect Sinclair Black estimates the cost of his plan to be $550 million, the resulting tax revenue has been estimated between $1-4 billion dollars.  Not too mention the increase in jobs and residents the newly freed 30 acres would provide.  The lower cost alternatives call for reconstruction of I-35 by adding an additional lane in each direction or by elevation over existing surface streets.  Either way, the city will spend a great deal of money on this renovation.  Why not invest in a long term solution that not only reduces congestion, but also generates the most revenue for the city?
    Other concerns have been raised that simply lowering I-35 will do nothing to lower traffic blockages.  However, TxDOT has confirmed that they will indeed add two extra lanes to the subterranean freeway.  Also, Black's proposal would include a restored grid to boulevard area allowing slower moving traffic an alternate route.  Aside from tax revenue and quicker transit, I still believe the most promising solution of this proposal is the community aspect.  Restoring a land connection between east and west Austin will break down barriers that have negatively affected our city socioeconomically.  Austinites will now be able to commute safely to areas on both sides of the highway and connect with each other on the space in between.  Parking opportunities would also be increased, which is something I feel we can all be excited about.
    Although there are sure to be cons to the "Cut and Cap" plan to lower I-35 underground, I believe the pros will heavily outweigh them.  At the very least, as Austin City Council members agreed on June 20th earlier this year, this plan deserves more "looking into" financially and economically.   Any urban development with positive impacts on transport AND community is something all Austinites should give the proper consideration their city deserves.

     

1 comment:

Mary Roby said...

On Wednesday, August 7, you wrote an interesting Article on the “Cut and Cap” plan in Austin. A plan by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) that plans on to sink I-35 underground to help ease traffic congestion on the Interstate in downtown Austin. I agree with you that this plan to extend I-35 in order to decongest traffic in Austin is a great one but I feel like this is a plan that needs to be reconsider before being acted upon.
I believe that if the plan is passed it will make Austin more congested, especially during the construction stage. I- 35 is one of the main highways drivers use to travel in and out of Austin. I mean yes, there is Mopac express way and 183 but they do not direct go through I-35 like I- 35 does. I feel like once I- 35 is closed down for construction for the “Cut and Cap”, traffic on these other highways and city streets that are already crowded will be overcrowded. Also the cost of the project is an issue I see with this idea. It will cost about $550 million to build. My question is where is this money coming from? Will it come all from the government? Will come from the taxpayers or will it be a mixture of both? I do know, if some of the money comes from the taxpayers that the working and lower socioeconomic classes will feel the most effect from it as lower classes tend to be taxed heavier than the upper class. This could be stressful for the citizens of Austin, particularly the citizens on the east side of Austin.
Overall, I am glad that the city of Austin knows they have a problem this traffic in their city and are trying to fix it but I do not think this should be the master plan and should edit it. Maybe they should have a highway that loops around the city like cities such as, Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. But does property and geography stop this? What if TxDOT intended the upper deck on I-35? Will it cost more than going underground or will not be possible to do? There are so many questions about this issue but there is so little time to find a solution with a constant Austin population that continues to grow.